The Rotating Ring.
0.5 m2 front
, 0.5 m2 side
, 3.5 m2 front
, 3.5 m2 side
14-02-1998, estimated wind just above 1 beaufort.
Click on the text. Doesn't it work ??? Update the browser to 4.0 .
- Define the radius & number of cells you want. Remember the
diameter = 2 x radius.
to calculate your rotor up to an outside diameter of 800 cm, 204
to calculate your rotor up to an outside diameter of 2000 cm, 500
cells and 92 measures.
- ALL sizes are without hem. Add 5 mm on left and right side of
- Transfer the
pattern to a piece of wood. Do the fretwork carefull.
wooden pattern to cut the Ripstop Nylon.
- Before you cut: think about the rotors turning direction (left or
right) and which side of the fabric should be on the in/out-side.
- Stop sewing at the indicated length. Add at this stop 2
cm biasband, used as reinforcement. See photo's.
- Use biasband for the inner (red) and outer (green)cirkel.
sewing the biasband on the outer cirkel all green lines form one
straigth line without gap (are aligned). Put the lower part of the next
flap on the higher part of the current flap. The
bridle eye's are also made of biasband but you could also use 4-6
(folded) layers of fabric.
bridle line A is about the (2 or 3 x "arc length"). The bridle lines
B is ( "One Bridle" - 0.5 x A ).
- For the 3.5 m2 version a third bridle C is used, simulair to A,
attached to the B eye's. The C eye's
are attached to an alloy disk connected the swivel, see photo.
The diameter of the alloy disk is 8 cm and it is 4 mm thick.
- Used bridle lines: 11 kg twisted nylon for the 0.5 m2 version.
kg braided dacron for A, B and 50 kg dacron for C for the 3.5 m2
On the photo
you see 100 kg terylene for C because I did not have 50 kg dacron at the
time. The required strength depends on the size of the rotor and the
number of bridle eyes used. Unfortunatly the front view photo of the 3.5
m2 versions shows terylene lines twisted.
- Use a super smooth swivel, preferable with sealed ballbearing.
- If you have problems with the swivel (fails to turn) then shorten
the bridle line B.
- Check the photo's.
The 0.5 m2 (projected, 50 cm OutsideRadius, 30
cm InnerRadius, 20 cm InsideRadius, 24 cells) version pulls about 10 kg
at 5 Beaufort. The 3.5 m2 (projected, 200 cm OutsideRadius, 170 cm
InnerRadius, 30 cm InsideRadius, 96 cells) version pulled my car (brakes
off) on the beach at 5 Beaufort.