We've been asked many times how to make this tail. You need:
simple to do.
Here's how it's
- Strips of ripstop, 4" wide (10 cm), with a pencil mark drawn down
the center (lengthwise) as a guide.
- Narrow ribbon, 1/4" wide (6 mm), grosgrain or satin.
The cheaper the better! Some fabric stores sell it in 10
yard spools on sale for 99 cents. We stock up on black and white when
its on sale.
- Lay the ribbon over the pencil mark on the ripstop strip and sew it
on with a zig-zag or a straight stitch. (Andrew Beattie would of
course use the latter :-)
- Keep adding ripstop strips, butting them end-to-end, until the tail
is the desired length (10 ft is a good length). Leave a few extra inches
of ribbon to sew a loop.
- Snip the ripstop strip at approx. 1-inch intervals on either side of
the ribbon. Don't cut into the ribbon! It's not necessary to
make the cuts at exactly 1 inch intervals -- just wing it.
- Make a loop with the extra ribbon at one end, and you're